European Commission publishes first draft EU ‘Financial Perspective’ for 2014-2020
These proposals will now be extensively negotiated by Member States and the substance could change significantly; however, this first proposal maintains the EC’s commitment for per capita spend on key programmes, including the Structural Funds. Other Welsh priorities for Structural Funds have also been reflected in the proposals: maintaining a focus on the poorest regions (irrespective of the Member State in which they are located); fair transitional support for regions moving out of Convergence; and continuing eligibility for all regions across the EU.
As the proposals stand, it appears likely that West Wales and the Valleys will qualify for a successor to the Convergence programme and East Wales for a much smaller amount through an equivalent to the Competitiveness programme. Once the draft regulations are published by the EC, expected during autumn 2011, Wales will be in a position to begin discussions, in partnership, on the priorities for any future programmes in Wales.
Next Steps (dates may be subject to change):
EC Financial Perspective
- Now - December 2012: Negotiation of the EC’s draft Financial Perspective
- December 2012: Possible agreement of the EC’s Financial Perspective for 2014-2020
- Autumn 2011: Draft EC regulations governing European programmes released
- Autumn 2011 - March 2013: Negotiations on EC regulations
- March 2013: Possible agreement of EC regulations governing EU programmes
Programme Development in Wales
- Throughout 2012: Development of programming documents
- End 2012 - Early 2013: Consultation on programming documents