Organisation name: Calon Communications Ltd; trading as Calon FM
Submitted: 02/02/2011 by email@example.com
- Organisation core business: Community Radio Station
- What will the project do?: The project aims to develop and encourage media literacy within diverse and young members of the community, in order to raise aspirations and employability. This will be made possible through the offer of media training at Calon FM radio station.
- Regional area(s) to be covered by the project: North Wales
- Who will be the end beneficiaries?: The young members and those wishing to gain digital media skills within the community of Wrexham.
- Who will be involved in delivering the project?: Calon FM staff members. Notably the Station Editor and Community Development Officer.
- What might be the outputs (activity measures) of the project?: Calon FM can provide training through a formal Introduction to Radio course, and similarly through work experience placements, arranged with local schools and colleges. This can be supported by the local University recognising the level of the course. Training would include the use of technical radio equipment, media editing software, a range of broadcasting equipment and development of personal confidence in displaying research and presenting skills. Calon FM has access to a number of different recording studios, which is made possible through its links with Glyndwr University. This allows the station to offer a depth of recording opportunities and facilities for volunteers. The editing suite within Calon FM is available to train members of the community in all aspects of editing pre recorded media using software packages such as Adobe Audition, Soundforge and Audacity. These are in addition to the live broadcasting studio which is used on a daily basis for volunteer training, and also with learning the appropriate interview techniques.
- What might be the results of the project?: Calon FM has a remit to provide training that will develop confidence, self esteem and motivational skills to improve the quality of life of the community of Wrexham. Calon FM hopes to take initiatives to promote equal opportunities within the work place, particularly for young people. Calon FM will provide training to encourage social integration and Media Literacy in order to improve the eligibility of young people in the work place. The station will work closely with schools and sixth form colleges, as well as Communities First areas, and rehabilitation centres around North Wales to provide work experience and promote media literacy. Calon FM will offer training to a broad range of community members from various backgrounds. The station already works closely with local organisations such as: • A4e Skill Build • Next Steps • Open Minds • Flintshire Volunteer Council This training also gives young people and those retraining, the opportunity to start or improve on their media literacy portfolio whilst boosting self esteem and confidence.
- What would the project's impact be?: Calon FM intends that an outcome of its training will be to link its trainees with relevant industry contacts and provide people from the target community with opportunities to participate in work experience and work trial programmes within the media industry. Instilling confidence and self esteem in any trainee at the station is a top priority for staff at Calon FM. The station offers a broad range of training skills to encourage the development of its community from the above organisations in particular, as well as others within the community, to overcome personal troubles. The encouragement of young people to be more engaged with education is integral to the success and key commitments that Calon FM aspires to meet; Calon FM sees the improvement of self esteem and social integration within young people as a top priority.
- What is the project estimated cost?: £50,000