Organisation name: The Youth Development Foundation (YDF)
Submitted: 09/02/2009 by email@example.com
- Organisation core business: Charitable Foundation Education Centre - Outdoor Pursuits & Educational Training
- What will the project do?: Based at Stout Hall in Reynoldston, on the Gower Peninsula, Stout Hall is grade 2 listed mansion house currently being restored to its former glory as an outdoor education centre. The YDF will use a blend of traditional and modern training to engage young people into the benefits of education as a part of their life long learning. With the ability to offer residential and non residential training we will work with strategic partners to engage young people from all backgrounds to help them develop into socially & economically active responsible members of their communities. Utilising the skills of trainers and youth workers from diverse employment and qualification backgrounds we will provide innovative programmes, an example being the Super Six Course. The YDF - Super Six Course (SSC) Overview The SSC could be perceived as being a 'Boot Camp' type course and yes, there will be elements of the course where the trainees will be physically and mentally challenged, but the course will be used more as a vehicle for personal development progression. The YDF staff are experienced and skilled in working with all types of people from 'Blue Chip' business executives, to young people who have not had the best start in life through no fault of their own. The SSC is designed to help them to reach their full potential. Traditional outdoor pursuits such as kayaking, climbing and orienteering will provide controlled environment challenges and learning, with subjects such as navigation, survival, teamwork, communication, and mutual respect which will help the trainees to make positive progress with their lives. A major ethos of the training will be developing core values in the young people. The YDF "Super Six" Core Values are:- Discipline - The trainees will learn about discipline in work and society through practical and theory lessons which are put into the context of their own lives. Respect for Others - Trainees will learn the principles of treating others in the way in which they would want to be treated themselves. Selfless Commitment - Putting others before themselves, such as charity working. Loyalty - To friends, family, peers and those who help us. Integrity - The right attitude to doing the right thing. Courage - Both physical and moral. The YDF Code All trainees on the SSC will be expected to adopt a code of conduct which they will formulate based on the core values. They will be expected to abide by it during their time with us. By having a clear and consistent code which they sign up to from the start, trainees will know what is expected of them and what we will do for them in return. The YDF and its strategic partners will seek to provide innovative education and training programmes, encompassing outdoor pursuits and vocational training for young people aged 11-21 who may, or may not have difficulties in mainstream education. The programmes will aim to provide an alternative learning environment where young people's perception of education is changed to encourage a positive attitude and approach to life long learning. We will achieve this through a number of activities including:- Provision of an extended curriculum, including Wider key Skills qualifications (WJEC) to address development of personal skills for the world of work Provision of residential and non residential training and learning Provision of additional Basic Skills Tuition Provision of positive outdoor pursuits land based learning activities Provision of positive outdoor pursuits water based learning activities Maintaining young people's motivation and engagement Provide pastoral care and guidance relevant to each individual Provide peer group mentoring and role model involvement in all programmes Provide access too, and training in ICT Provide an intranet social networking website designed, built and maintained by the trainees Ongoing online support program for all participants including mentoring and peer to peer support groups
- Regional area(s) to be covered by the project: South West Wales
- Who will be the end beneficiaries?: The young people, including; high and low achievers with special educational needs, NEETs, disaffected and excluded young people not in mainstream education, or who may be socially excluded.
- Who will be involved in delivering the project?: The YDF, Teamforce UK Ltd, work based learning & training providers, local authorities, Careers Wales West, Youth Services and other charitable organisations.
- What might be the outputs (activity measures) of the project?: All young people will achieve a recognised qualification or evidence towards supporting further education. We will provide programmes which will provide beneficiaries with ongoing support; with the majority progressing into further education or work based learning, through intensive pastoral support founded upon individually agreed progression plans addressing identified barriers to engagement.
- What might be the results of the project?: All training programmes will either provide recognised qualifications such WJEC Wider Key Skills, or will provide evidence towards future qualifications. All the training will provide; . Increased self confidence and inter personal skills. Improved physical fitness and encouragement to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Motivation and desire to integrate fully into society. Increased self-esteem and a positive mental attitude. A sense of purpose and direction in life including career planning. New skills and knowledge relevant to the world of work. Outdoor pursuits will help to encourage core values such as; teamwork, loyalty, integrity, discipline, honesty and many other qualities. Access to role models and mentoring. Access to further education and training. Positive steps and assistance towards desired employment
- What would the project's impact be?: We will provide young people with the motivation, confidence and determination to improve their own lives, having experienced positive steps in their personal development. Using some time proven training methods and modern strategies, young people will be empowered to integrate into society, work, family and the wider community. Management and statistical information evidence will demonstrate the outcomes and further progression for each trainee who will also have access to ongoing support.
- What is the project estimated cost?: £2,200,000