Organisation name: Bangor University
Submitted: 08/09/2009 by firstname.lastname@example.org
- Organisation core business: Higher Education Institution
- What will the project do?: The aim of this project is to establish an innovative mechanism for the delivery of education and training in photonics skills required by industry. The PEPSI consortium includes representatives of photonics companies, educational institutions and governmental agencies concerned with the development of skills training to meet the requirements of current and emergent photonics industry. The objective of PEPSI is to create a novel skills-training apparatus which is responsive both to commercial imperatives and the needs of individuals seeking photonics skills training at varying stages of their careers. PEPSI will also create an extensive out-reach activity directed at inspiring a new generation of photonics practitioners. The Photonics Academy for Wales working via Technium OpTIC will provide the organisational cohesion to enable efficient operation of PEPSI as a multi-faceted skills-delivery vehicle.
- Regional area(s) to be covered by the project: All Convergence
- Who will be the end beneficiaries?: individuals and companies
- Who will be involved in delivering the project?: Photonics Academy for Wales Technium OpTIC Photonics companies The Photonics Academy has a particular role to open career paths for learners into photonics industry grown by Technium OpTIC and thereby support nascent commercial activities emanating from Technium OpTIC
- What might be the outputs (activity measures) of the project?: Number of participants (employed) Female participants Employers assisted
- What might be the results of the project?: Employed participants gaining qualifications Participants entering further learning The project will effect the broadening and deepening of the photonics skills base in Wales. The project will enrich the educational experience of individuals pursuing careers in photonics.
- What would the project's impact be?: The project will have an immediate impact on enhancing education and training of current and potential photonics practitioners in Wales. It will have a medium-term impact on expanding business opportunities in photonics in Wales. Its long-term impact will be to provide Wales with the human capital to sustain an expanded photonics technology base. The project is also seen as a pathfinder for the creation of a national centre of excellence in science and engineering education and training. The project will: i) Create a sustainable collaborative educational and training network embracing all stake holders in photonics industry ; ii) Establish an educational and training environment which : a) provides new entrants to the photonics industry with the skills needed for employment ; b) raises the skills-base of current photonics practitioners and c) addresses photonics skills gaps and shortages and promotes adaptability iii) Develop and disseminate novel educational and training materials in photonics ; iv) Pioneer means for the assignment of credit for both formal and non-formal learning in photonics ;
- What is the project estimated cost?: £8,000,000