Enw'r sefydliad: Bangor University
Cyflwynwyd: 14/07/2009 gan email@example.com
- Busnes craidd y sefydliad: Higher Education Institution
- Beth fydd y prosiect yn ei wneud?: PROVISION OF ENHANCED PHOTONICS SKILLS FOR INDUSTRY (PEPSY) The aim of this project is to establish an innovative mechanism for the delivery of education and training in photonics skills required by industry. PEPSY includes representatives of photonics companies, educational institutions and governmental agencies concerned with the development of skills training to meet the requirements of current and emergent photonics industry. The objective of PEPSY is to create a novel skills-training apparatus which is responsive both to commercial imperatives and the needs of individuals seeking photonics skills training at varying stages of their careers. PEPSY will also create an extensive out-reach activity directed at inspiring a new generation of photonics practitioners. The Photonics Academy for Wales working via Technium OpTIC will provide the organisational cohesion to enable efficient operation of PEPSY as a multi-faceted skills-delivery vehicle. The aim of PEPSY is to ensure that highly skilled photonics practitioners are available to meet the needs of extant and emergent photonics industry. Two requirements must be met to achieve this aim. Firstly capable individuals need to be motivated to pursue careers in the photonics industry and secondly those individuals must be provided with the education and training which enables them to acquire the skills needed to sustain and develop the photonics industry. PEPSY is designed to simultaneously meet both these key requirements. The core concept of the PEPSY project is to provide an educational environment in which learners are empowered to use their imaginations in applying scientific and engineering principles to solve meaningful problems and thereby acquire the skills required by the photonics industry. This approach is seen to be eminently suitable for upgrading skills levels amongst current staff of the photonics industry and also as a powerful means for attracting new photonics practitioners. The underlying conviction of the project is that an active learning approach will excite the interest of a broad spectrum of learners who currently are not motivated to pursue opportunities is science and engineering. The project will demonstrate innovative hands-on techniques for inspiring a new science-literate generation who will have the confidence and skills to drive forward key technological advances to meet the requirements of a rapidly changing global community. The Photonics Academy has a particular role to open career paths for learners into photonics industry grown by Technium OpTIC and thereby support nascent commercial activities emanating from Technium OpTIC . Both in respect of businesses incubating from Technium OpTIC and expansion of extant enterprises the key requirement is a supply of well-trained staff at a variety of technical levels. The strong symbiotic relationship between the Photonics Academy and OpTIC provides PEPSY with an ideal educational-industrial environment in which to develop an effective approach to nurture a positive attitude to science and engineering education and training. PEPSY will use photonics education as an exemplar and proof of concept. Photonics, as a key enabling technology of the 21st century, offers enormous scope to open an educational pathway to the knowledge economy.
- Ardaloedd gofodol y bydd y prosiect yn eu cynnwys: Holl Ardal Gydgyfeirio
- Pwy fydd y buddiolwyr yn y pen draw?: individuals and companies
- Pa ganlyniadau allai fod i'r prosiect?: Photonics Academy for Wales Technium OpTIC Photonics companies The Photonics Academy has a particular role to open career paths for learners into photonics industry grown by Technium OpTIC and thereby support nascent commercial activities emanating from Technium OpTIC
- Pa allbynnau (mesurau gweithgarwch) allai fod i'r prosiect?: Number of participants (employed) Female participants Employers assisted
- Pa ganlyniadau allai fod i'r prosiect?: Employed participants gaining qualifications Participants entering further learning The project will effect the broadening and deepening of the photonics skills base in Wales. The project will enrich the educational experience of individuals pursuing careers in photonics.
- Beth fyddai effaith y prosiect?: The project will have an immediate impact on enhancing education and training of current and potential photonics practitioners in Wales. It will have a medium-term impact on expanding business opportunities in photonics in Wales. Its long-term impact will be to provide Wales with the human capital to sustain an expanded photonics technology base. The project is also seen as a pathfinder for the creation of a national centre of excellence in science and engineering education and training. The project will: i) Create a sustainable collaborative educational and training network embracing all stake holders in photonics industry ; ii) Establish an educational and training environment which : a) provides new entrants to the photonics industry with the skills needed for employment ; b) raises the skills-base of current photonics practitioners and c) addresses photonics skills gaps and shortages and promotes adaptability iii) Develop and disseminate novel educational and training materials in photonics ; iv) Pioneer means for the assignment of credit for both formal and non-formal learning in photonics ;
- Beth yw'r amcangyfrif o gost y prosiect?: £8,000,000