Organisation name: National Library of Wales
Submitted: 31/07/2009 by email@example.com
- Organisation core business: National library
- What will the project do?: The aim of this three-year project is to digitise and provide free, online, bilingual access to 1.5 million pages (up to 300 different titles) of out-of-copyright newspapers relating to Wales by 2012.
- Regional area(s) to be covered by the project: Central Wales
- Who will be the end beneficiaries?: Welsh citizens, SMEs and learning institutions
- Who will be involved in delivering the project?: National Library of Wales
- What might be the outputs (activity measures) of the project?: Approximately 1.5 million pages of digital surrogates; machine readable text and associated metadata; an online, searchable website
- What might be the results of the project?: Up to 30 project staff; improved access to a reservoir of knowledge and rich cultural heritage that is relevant to every citizen in Wales and beyond; a permanent, free, searchable, bilingual website that provides access to approximately 1.5 million pages of out-of-copyright newspapers relating to Wales.
- What would the project's impact be?: The project will substantially improve the profile of Walesâ?Ts rich, innovative and vibrant cultural identity as a relevant force in the knowledge-based global economy. This project will fully exploit a substantial bank of knowledge that has the potential to enrich, empower and educate every Welsh citizen, irrespective of age, location or background. It will eliminate barriers to inequality and help to promote the right to learn across Wales, strengthening literacy, competencies and skills for immediate exploitation by employers in all sectors of the economy.
- What is the project estimated cost?: £3,000,000